Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Typical Day

This isn’t even the worst I’ve ever seen…
This is just an example of what it’s like living in and around our Nation’s Capital.  I’ve actually changed work locations (still with the same company), so I’m not commuting to the Navy Yard anymore. Thank goodness.  On a good day, it took me an hour and 15 minutes.  Plus another 15-30 to find parking… On a bad day? 2 hours. 

Now I’m in Alexandria, VA.  My commute still takes me up I95, but on a good day it takes 45 minutes.  Coming home it usually takes me about an hour. 

A recent study found that a long commute is bad for your heart health.  While I’m glad my commute has gotten shorter, this study is another reason for me to continue my weekly exercise after the half marathon is over.  Even though I HATE working out, it’s important to do something active to combat the long days of sitting in my car and at my desk.  It’s been especially difficult to exercise during the winter because it gets dark so early.  Running in the dark has become a normal thing, but this hasn’t made me less paranoid.  I run with a reflective vest, my cell phone in hand, and no music whatsoever.  It would be nice if I could work from home and do my workouts in the middle of the day.

The type of job that I have makes it pretty much impossible to telecommute.  It’s possible, but I’m really needed in the office.  I’m kind of curious what others who live in the area (and those who don’t) deal with on a daily basis and how they deal with it.

So tell me, do you have a long commute?  Do you ever work from home?  What do you do for exercise each week?  Do you run in the dark? Do you work out during the day? How do you fit in your weekly exercise?

Please share your tips and tricks!!!

~SG


2 comments: