Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Fabric Talk

FINALLY.... some sort of house update.  And it has nothing to do with the basement, which I am procrastinating like a 4th grader with a book report due tomorrow.

Our family room/den/great room/whatever has blinds, but no curtains.  We had always planned on making cornices for above the windows, and roman shades for the door(s).  But choosing the right fabric to make said cornices and roman shades has been quite a challenge. 

My color scheme for the entire house has turned out to be earth tones, such as tans, browns, creams, greens, and a splash of red or orange (mostly red).  The inspiration for this color scheme actually comes from a picture we had hanging in our apartment:


So, in searching for the fabric for our family room cornices, my criteria were as follows:

-Nothing too girly
-Something in the earthtone family
-Something with a pop of color (preferrably red)
-Something that matches our current and future furniture
-No gold (or at least not alot of it)

As I was perusing JoAnn Fabrics, I came apon this little beauty:


It met all the criteria, but I wasn't convinced I liked it.  I checked out some more patterns but I kept coming back to this one.  I clicked on it to see a more "up close" picture, and it was then that I decided I really liked it.  So I ordered it. 

Then I printed out a "swatch" so I could see how it would look with our furniture.

With our current couch

Kitchen table, and color of future couch

Success!

So now it's time to envision the fabric on the windows. 
What the family room currently looks like...
W/Cornices, and a red chair, for good measure.

I want.


Hmmm.... I think it will definitely add more color, spice, and personality to the room. Which it desparately. needs.  What are you thinking?  Do you hate it? I won't be mad if you do. I didn't like it at first either. But it's really grown on me, and now I'm excited to start crafting.

Plus, then I can start accessorizing with vases, houseplants, candlesticks, etc.  And who doesn't LOVE accessorizing?!

OK is that enough house talk for one day? I certainly hope so!

Be back later this week for more :)

~SG

1 comment: