Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Baby Girl's Nursery

As I mentioned, I had everything planned out if the baby was a boy.  A girl, though, had me totally lost.  I knew I didn't want much pink- never was much of a pink person.  Didn't want to do any gimmicky Disney Princess stuff.  Blech. My style is very traditional and....boring.  So I really had no ideas as to what we would do for her room until we went to Disney World...

I KNOW you think you know where this is going but just hang in there ok?!!?

We found out the day before we left that we were having a girl, so reality was still setting in while we were on our trip.  Doesn't mean I didn't buy a few pink and purple onesies that cost an arm and a leg, but I was still rather bewildered and excited.  We were in Disney with friends and our friend Amanda asked me what we were doing for the nursery and I told her I had no idea.  Really, I just wanted it to be pretty, somewhat girly, but something that wouldn't make Joey barf.

We were walking along through Fantasyland and stopped here to use the bathroom (probably for the 25th time that day):


If you don't recognize it, it's the village from Tangled and Disney has made an entire bathroom area out of it.  We went in and I was admiring Disney's usual level of detail- the paintings on the ceilings just like in Rapunzel's tower, the suns on the flags, the colors, etc.



We came out and A Love said "why don't you do Tangled for your theme?"
DUH! It hit me like a mickey bar to the face! I suggested it to Joey and he liked it and was cool with it.  And, in typical Gish fashion, the decision was made.

Now, the most important thing to me was that it NOT be full of pictures like this:
I wanted to use the IDEA of Rapunzel/Tangled, specifically the pretty lanterns, and the color scheme, but not really the themey-ness of it all.  Make sense?

After some considerable time spent pinning ideas to a secret board with some friends, it was decided that the room would have a focal point (a painting) that we'd draw colors out of and then we'd take it from there.

Now... where to go when you need a painting?......... Hmmm... how bout a ridiculously talented friend who offers to paint it for you?! Enter Amanda......

(Doc modeling for size)

Now that we have this gorgeous piece of art, we are able to draw out colors.  First big thing was what color to paint the walls.  Unfortunately, Joey is a big fan of unpainted walls.  So it took a little convincing/begging/offering to paint it back if we move, but he finally agreed to this color:

Hosta Flower
 Next thing is the furniture.  If you remember, we got the crib fo free from our friend Danielle.  I searched the crap out of it and turns out it's one of the highest rated cribs that Graco makes and it's still under warranty.  Awesome.  It's a pretty cherry color, so we ordered a dresser/changer combo, side table, and glider to match (the glider is covered with yellow gingham).  None of this has been put together yet so just use your imagination...

Once we picked the paint color, I was free to choose the bedding set for the crib.  I drooled and drooled over Pottery Barn Kids, but ain't nobody got time (or money) fo that!  Then I happened upon a bedding set sold at most baby stores that really reminds me of Rapunzel's paintings on the walls and ceilings of her tower...
Sweet Jojo Designs: Suzanna Collection

Up close picture of the design
 I also found these curtains a long time ago and loved them...

I'll probably do a matching crib skirt as well

Joey also suggested a lantern mobile to go with the lantern thing, maybe something like this-



And finally, if I have any money left after all this, maybe a throw rug to tie it all together-

ok, this one IS from PBK...

I also have to get a pretty frame for the picture, shelving, other things to hang on the walls, etc. etc. etc.

These are just our preliminary ideas.  All are subject to change once things actually come together and I see whether I like it or not ;)

In the end though, I just want Baby Girl to have a place that's her own, that she can play in and grow up in, and someday we'll explain to her the secret Disney references in her room's design ;)

Hope you liked it! (And if you don't, it's not your room anyway!)

~SG

PS: It's not the Hogwarts castle. Just...watch Tangled and then you'll get it!!




No comments:

Post a Comment