Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Last of the Running Blogs

This Saturday, I’ve volunteered to help out at the National Marathon.  You know… just to check it out… Gulp.


I originally thought I’d be handing out water or Gu, but it looks like that’s for groups of people- not nerds who sign up by themselves.  Whatever, I can be a loner. I don’t mind!


I think a really fun job would be to hand out medals.  26.2 miles is such an accomplishment!  I giggled to myself thinking how funny it would be if one of those medals accidentally ended up in my backpack… but then I thought of how hard I worked for each of my medals.  And I decided against it. AND I decided to share my medals on my blog, lucky you!



Each one of these babies has a story behind it.  I won’t get into major detail, but I will tell a quick ditty about each one.


1.       Baltimore Half Marathon, Fall 2008
This was my first half marathon ever.  Ask me how much training I did! Hardly any.  This is also possibly the hilliest course in America.   Between that and the crack houses/roadkill, I’m pretty sure I won’t be repeating this one.  I remember hitting the Mile 6-7 point and thinking I was going to have to quit.  It was horrible.  I sat down around Mile 10. SAT DOWN. Who does that?!?!?! I finished in just under 3 hours, around 2:54.  I remember crossing the finish line and immediately sitting down because my legs simply couldn’t carry me any longer.  Way to go, stud.  Next time try training??


2.       Army 10 Miler, Fall 2009
Let’s try this distance running thing again, shall we?  Trained, but didn’t do any long runs.  Notice a pattern here? I’m lazy.  I liked this race, but I remember that I walked early on and I was upset with myself.  Knowing what I know now, it’s not a bad thing to take walk breaks.  This is a new concept for me and I’m having trouble accepting it.  Anyway, I finished the ATM in 2:02. 


3.       Shamrock Half Marathon, Spring 2009
Can we say “PR”?! I’ll chalk it up to slightly more training, running with a fast friend, beautiful weather, and a flat course.  I finished this one in 2:28.  Probably could’ve done faster if I wasn’t a slacker and drinking beer on mile 10 ;)


4.       Disney’s Princess Half Marathon, Spring 2010
Didn’t exactly train for this one either.  No long runs.  But I did get a “PR” of sorts on this race- I ran for 8 miles before I took a walk break.  That is a personal best!  I finished this one in 2:45.


5.       Disney’s Princess Half Marathon, Spring 2012
Actually trained for this race.  For the first time ever, did long runs every weekend!  Finished in 2:31, as you know. 


I’m proud of the story  behind each of these races, because they are miles that nobody can take away from me! And that’s why I decided not to steal a Marathon medal.  Cause maybe someday I can earn my own!!!


~SG


PS: I will now cease talking about running on my blog.  If you are interested in tracking my progress, you can head over to Athlinks: http://athlinks.com/racer/106190634



No comments:

Post a Comment