Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Property

What is it? Why do you call it that? What does it all mean?!

Just some of the questions I get when I tell people we are "going to The Property for the weekend".  So here are some answers!

What is The Property?
The Property is 103 acres of land in Drakes Branch, VA owned by my in-laws.  It is mainly used for hunting, and has several different fields, a pond, an old homesite with a rotting tobacco barn, tons of wildlife (to include bears), and opportunities to chill out by the fire pit with a cold beer and look up at the millions of stars in the sky.

Why do you call it that?
My MIL (that's Mother-in-law to you blog rookies) has been saying for years (ok, for the 3 years I've been around) that we need to give the place a name.  Nobody ever bothered sitting down and thinking of one, and it really is just a giant piece of property (aka LAND)... so the name has kind of stuck.  At this point, calling it something different is just going to confuse people.

Where do you sleep at The Property?
In the house! OK it's not a house house... it's a trailer.  But it is fully furnished, heated/air conditioned, and a quite comfortable alternative to a tent.  Although my husband has definitely slept in a tent in the front field before.  Personally, warm bed always trumps hard ground but hey... to each his own.

What do you do there?
Well, I mentioned hunting and star gazing, but we also ride the four wheelers/golf carts, float around the pond/river in a little inflatable boat, set up cameras with motion sensors to check out what critters we have romping around, drink a beer or two, practice our aim/make up shooting games (my favorite was 5 card stud poker), eat delicious food (or hotdogs, if you're me), and sleep IN.

What does it look like?
Well aren't you lucky I have some photos to share :)



The Trailer

The Fire Pit by day

The Hunting House... A new addition!

Front Field

Tobacco Barn... Can you find it?
It looks boring.
Don't knock it til you've tried it!

I hope that gives a little more clarity about what The Property is and why we go there.  Even if you're not into hunting (read: me), there is plenty to do and it's such a great way to relax and recharge on the weekends.  We are so fortunate to have this getaway so readily accessible!

Happy Sunday, all!

SG

No comments:

Post a Comment