Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Productive Sunday

So last week I mentioned to Joey that we really need to organize the storage/laundry room in the basement.  I swear we have some "before" pictures somewhere but I can't find them at the moment.

Basically it's the back room, which is unfinished.  It's a large area where we threw all the boxes and packing materials from moving, about 15 rubber bins full of various junk, and a ton of construction materials including but not limited to: buckets of paint, brushes, tools, doors, screens, broken drywall, pieces of wood with nails sticking out, rotting wood from the bathroom, materials from tiling the floor, etc.  The water heater is back there, along with a big sink.

Oh, and it also houses the washer and dryer.  So every time I do laundry, I have to put on shoes because I'm standing in a hazard zone where there is dirt, sand, possibly nails and screws, and it's just not very romantic to do your laundry in the middle of a storage locker.  It even has the creepy one lightbulb hanging from the ceiling...

SO, on Sunday I decided to go down there with a trash bag and just start sorting through one or two of the bins.  I moved every year in college and after graduating college until we ended up at the apartment, and I had accumulated a lot of JUNK.  Combine that with me being a terrible packer (I just throw things in boxes), and you get about 15 boxes of crap, 75% of which is legit trash.

4 hours later, I had gone through all of the boxes, made Joey go through HIS boxes, and separated and labeled plastic bins for Fall, Halloween, Christmas (x2), Pirates, Disney, (<- yes, those get their own), Civil War Party, and 2 boxes of Junk that I couldn't bear to part with (such as the picture of me with the Chippendales in Vegas).  We had SO MUCH TRASH it was incredible.  We broke down about 10 boxes.  I swept up the floor (which hadn't been done.....ever), we put painting/construction materials on a shelf, and made plans to purchase a big throw rug, a table to fold clothes on, and maybe a nicer light so I don't feel like I'm in the Bates Motel down there.

These cell phone pics just don't do it justice, but I am really proud of our organization skills.  Next stop?  The garage.


~SG


1 comment:

  1. Give it a few years...maybe 20. You will have LOTS more back there! Get rid of stuff while you can!

    ReplyDelete