Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Laura Graduated!

Well, I'm officially old.  Both my siblings are out of college.

This past weekend, my youngest sib walked across the stage to get her diploma at Penn State. 

Joey and I made it a day trip, and headed out around 7am for a noon ceremony.  We had no issues getting to State College, got changed at a McDonalds, ate breakfast twice, and met up with my family outside the arena. 


The graduation ceremony was like most others.  The keynote speaker was the Executive Chairman of ESPN, George Bodenheimer.  He was also a proud Dad of a graduate!  His story was definitely inspiring- he knew he wanted to work in sports so he got a job in the mailroom at ESPN about 30 years ago.  And now he's the Executive Chairman.

But by far, the most inspiring moment of the day (sorry Laura), was when a student in a motorized wheel chair was helped to his feet, and walked across the stage by himself with only the help of a walker and some encouraging classmates.  Even though the crowd had been instructed to remain quiet until all names are called, the place went WILD.  It was so inspiring and awesome. He got a standing ovation! After he had returned to his seat, so many grads were passing by and shaking his hand. What an amazing accomplishment.

Laura is in that mass somewhere, about to cross the stage

Returning to her seat

Our happy grad!

Our family

Siblings (I'm the only non-PSU grad!)

"sorority pose"... my Dad has a better one

After taking pictures, we all headed over to the Mount Nittany Inn for dinner reservations.  It sits on the side of the mountain and has gorgeous views.  Joey, Laura and I had apparently parked in the right parking lot, because we got out of there and to dinner in about 15 minutes. Mom, Dad, Alex and Corinne weren't as lucky.  We'd already gotten a couple drinks and an appetizer by the time they arrived :(

Beautiful view!


We got our food and let me just say, IT WAS DELICIOUS. I highly recommend this place and I will definitely be back.  When, I don't know. But I have always loved visiting Happy Valley so maybe someday I will coerce my own child into going there.......

Finally, many of you have inquired as to what Laura is going to do now that she's graduated:



That's right! She's going to Disney World! She'll be there from May until January (or longer!) for an internship with the Disney College Program. I am beyond jealous and planning to live vicariously through her.  We are already planning a trip to visit her in November. 

Congratulations, Laura! Welcome to the real world!

~SG

No comments:

Post a Comment