Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Lovely Spring Weekend- Updated!

Wow! It’s been a while since I had a really great weekend that I thought was worth writing about.  This past weekend took the cake.

I even took tons of pictures, however I can’t upload them at the moment because of a little incident that happened yesterday.  Of course when I am at work and I see two missed calls and a “call me” text, I worry that some catastrophe has happened. So when my darling husband told me he dropped the laptop and broke the screen I burst out laughing.  However it was no longer funny when I realized I couldn’t load my pics L  Lucky for all of you, I did take some pictures on my phone, so this post isn’t totally ruined.  I'll try to come back later to add more pictures. 

Friday I did a flex day at work- I left around noon and had zero plans.  I got Chik Fil A for lunch, went home to my pins, and (tried to) take a nap.  The weather was gorgeous so I sat out on the back porch while the dogs ran around the yard (well not the whole yard, just the fenced-in part).  Joey came home at the normal time, and by then we had decided to make plans with our friends Amanda and Ryan, and their two dogs.  Jax and Nyx are Thai Ridgebacks-beautiful dogs- one is an adult and one is a pup, and we weren’t really sure how they’d get along with the Min Pins.  Turned out they got along GREAT!

After nearly burning down the house with the fire pit (it was a liiiittle too windy), drinking beverages, ordering Chinese food (twice), and playing Disney Cranium, we called it a night.



Next morning, we decided to have a “nice little Saturday” and headed to Lowes where we bought a bunch of flowers, mulch and accessories for the yard.  We spent the majority of the day outside, planting night-shade violas, petunias, and FINALLY mulching around those damn trees out front where the burlap has been creeping through for the past two years and driving me NUTS.

We Joey also installed the under-window planters that we’ve desperately needed for so long- not because I really wanted under-window planters.  No, quite the opposite.  See, the idiots who lived in our home last, decided to install the brackets for THEIR under-window planters with drywall anchors, which basically ruined the siding on the house.  My choices were to have a) brackets sticking out of my siding b) huge holes in my siding c) new under-window planters with pretty flowers in them.  As you can imagine, I chose option C.




Saturday night we were hankerin for some crab legs, so we headed up to PJ Skidoos in Fairfax where we always get the crab legs appetizer as our meals.  In the worst possible turn of events, Skidoos had removed crab legs from their menu… THE DAY BEFORE.  Bummed is an understatement.  We decided to drown our sorrows in cider and headed home….

….on the way home, we stopped by and visited our old stomping grounds, The Mews.  Joey lived there in college and I spent quite a bit of time there myself.  Then, in a totally unforeseen turn of events, we somehow ended up at Patriots, probably the last remaining hole-in-the-wall dive bar in Fairfax.  We used to frequent this smoky, delightfully trashy joint for it’s $4 pitchers and bad karaoke singers.  Our friends Ryan and Jason met us there and we had a grand old time people watching and being thankful we’d all graduated and gotten good jobs.



The Mews
Patriots

Sunday we had a nice, relaxing morning. The weather was again, gorgeous, and we opened the back door, sipped coffee, and let the dogs run around.  Around 10 we headed over to Leesylvania Park, sans dogs, for a 2 mile hike through some beautiful historical sites.  We saw several bald eagles, climbed to the edge of the cliff, and swung from vines like Tarzan.  We saw the home site of Henry Lee II (Robert E. Lee’s Grandfather), his wife Lucy’s gardens (the daffodils STILL come back every year. She had a heck of a green thumb!), their front yard, the former home of the Fairfax Family (oh yes, they lived in Prince William County! SO THERE!), and some beautiful trees, wild flowers, and a lovely view of the Potomac River.

*I'm going to do an entirely separate post on this little outing.

Burial site of CAPT Henry Fairfax and his wife, Elizabeth. Henry Lee II and his wife Lucy are also buried on the premesis.

We came home to watch NASCAR and generally enjoyed a lazy Sunday which we ended by steaming crab legs (that I bought at the grocery store) 




What a wonderful, SPRINGY, weekend.  I’m looking forward to many more weekends like this in the future.  Hope you all had a GREAT weekend too!

~SG




No comments:

Post a Comment