Total Pageviews

Monday, July 9, 2012

It's Going to be Epic.

So I've kind of been avoiding posting about my birthday party for fear of offending somebody.  In reality, my birthday party theme is not an offensive topic at all- it is a historical event from 150 years ago that is currently being celebrated all over the United States.  Unfortunately, many people are not history buffs, majors, minors, or at all interested in the Civil War.  So they prefer to make up their own stereotypes, etc.  So I guess this is kind of my disclaimer.  If you know me at all, you know I do not want to upset anybody.  I'm going to have a fun birthday party, focusing on the history of the Civil War, with a little bit of a fun twist.  I've been working hard on making it educational (omg. I've turned into my Mom.), FUN, and a great competition.  Everyone is welcome- if you'd like info, please contact me :)


When we bought our house last August, I had just watched "Gettysburg" and was really into the Civil War.  I joked that since part of our backyard is wooded and on a hill, it would serve as an excellent location for the reenactment of Pickett's Charge.  Then I got an idea.  A great idea.

Birthday party: Civil War. 

One problem- Birthday had already passed.  So I've been working on this little beauty for an entire year. 

If you can tell me who all of these people are, I will be very impressed!
Here is the plan:

The Armies:

UNION ARMY: Led by General Sarah Gish, and those who choose to fight alongside her.  The Union army will wear Navy Blue.

CONFEDERATE ARMY: Led by General Joseph Gish, and those who choose to fight alongside him. The Confederate army will wear Gray.

The Battles:
The armies will complete a list of tasks representing 12 key events of the Civil War.  These tasks will include consuming beverages, food items, a completing various games/other tasks. (Maybe arts and crafts? I'm still taking ideas/suggestions!)

How will we choose the winner?
The team to complete their events first will likely win the war, however they must initiate the epic Battle of G****** <- our street name (water balloon fight) in order to claim victory.

Oh yes... it's going to be Epic.


The dining room table is covered in Civil War recruiting posters, period guns, hats, haversacks, canteens, american flags, confederate flags, and a huge pile of local touring pamphelets that mysteriously started showing up in the mail every single day for the past 2 months... (ooooops)......


Even the dogs are ready.

So, grab your favorite bayonet and fill your canteen with beer! Cause this day will go down in history!

~SG

3 comments: