Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

It's All Fun and Games... (Civil War Party Part II)

“It’s all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.”

There was quite a bit of foreshadowing to my injury on Saturday.  Enough that I’m a little creeped out by it all.

The above quote is not only a common saying, but it’s also the last words of CAPT Billy Bones in Muppet Treasure Island. (…)  So it explains why my Mom told me to have fun, and said this quote to me last week before the party.  At the time, I laughed and thought well, that’s morbid!

The second thing that happened was when I was setting up the chairs backing up to the couch.  I thought, hmm, somebody could hit their head on these if they sat down too fast. 

So it’s time to tell the tale.  The party was in full swing. All the alcohol had been drunk (well, the “required” alcohol) and the teams had moved on to their next set of tasks.  People were milling about the kitchen and basement, when I decided it was time to recite my version of the Gettysburg Address….

So I turned off the music and called for everyone’s attention.  I kicked off my cowboy boots and stood up on the couch.

And promptly fell forward, smacking my forehead on the corner of one of the chairs.  I felt my head and saw blood immediately.  I ran into the bathroom to look and Joey’s all “She needs stitches!”


Ow :(
My friend Gage, who trained to be an EMT and is a Mom, (which definitely counts) pulled me upstairs to the master bathroom to get a better look.  Somehow, she found the hydrogen peroxide, bandaids, gauze pads, and q-tips in my bathroom without having to ask me.  Which I’m so impressed by because I’m not really sure I could find all of those things on my own….

After the bleeding stopped (I’m sure the alcohol thinning my bloodstream did not help), we all got a closer look.  We, and two other EMT’s in attendance all determined stitches were not needed.  However, Gage said, the rule was that if I was going to keep drinking, I had to wear a bandaid on it. 

UGHHHH I was SO ANNOYED.  I didn’t want to ruin my party by wearing A BANDAID ON MY EYE.

So Gage mastered a plan, cut a bandaid into a really small suture, stuck it on my eyebrow and colored in the part of the eyebrow that was covered by the bandaid with eyeliner.

TADA!


Angry face.

All fixed.

The party continued, I read my Address to the crowd (and got a huge round of applause), and eventually I took off the bandaid.  It revealed a small cut, right underneath my eyebrow.  It’s currently almost healed, just a little bit of a scab and some yellowing around the skin where it’s slightly bruised.


You can  barely even see the cut in this pic.

I think I got off pretty lucky. 

So remember folks, It’s all fun and games until somebody loses an eye. (or an eyebrow).

I guess I’ll have to do a Part III since this is so long. Womp.

~SG

1 comment:

  1. There are so many things about this that make me laugh. Mostly though that someone thought to take a picture of you running to the bathroom holding your bleeding eye. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete