Total Pageviews

Friday, November 18, 2011

So about the Cat...

So my father-in-law was at the Property last week.  Hunting. By himself.  And one night he saw a cat on the porch.  Now, this is completely normal as feral cats are common to this area of Virginia and seem to like the shelter of the porch and the leftovers that sometimes get put out there.  But this cat was different.  It was small, and white and black, not tabby or shabby.  And when he opened the door, it ran in the house. 
He noticed she was quite skinny (he assumed she was a “she” because she didn’t have a umm…dangle) and so he put out a bowl of water and some leftover stale cat food that has been kept down there for the feral felines.  After he fed her, he opened the door so she could leave.  But she was not interested.

Fast forward about 5 days, and Joey and I arrived for a long weekend.  We found a happy cat, snuggled warmly on a blanket on the couch, a litterbox made out of a Natural Light case, and my FIL, who had decided the cat was coming back to Woodbridge with him. 
I should have started out by saying that I am not a cat person.  Well, I’m not.  I lived with a cat my senior year in college and he was terribly mean. (Although it could have been the abuse of living with 4 college girls, but I digress…) But this cat was so sweet.  She was snuggly, cute, let you rub her belly, and kept her claws in while she batted your hand around.  When the boys were off hunting, I fashioned her a toy out of a shoe string and some tin foil (TELL me I am not resourceful!) and we chilled on the couch together watching college football.  Joey liked her too, and we decided she could come live with us if my MIL didn’t want her. 
After a nice weekend, we successfully got the cat home in one piece- thanks to a little carrier we bought at the local Maxway.  Wow…. Talk about a small town… here is some info I learned about Chase City, VA:
Males: 1,020    (44.5%)
Females: 1,274   (55.5%)
Estimated median household income in 2009: $24,909 (it was $22,193 in 2000)
*also, I looked for a link to the Maxway website. There wasn't one.
Anyway… Monday morning Joey was still off work, so he took the cat to the vet to make sure she didn’t have any diseases that would kill Doc if we decided they should meet.  She returned from the vet with a clear bill of health. And a penis.
Yup… “She” turned out to be a “he”. 
So now we are struggling with remembering to say “he” vs. “she”, and to figure out a name for the poor thing.  We were thinking Oreo (for obvious reasons) or Natty (because of the litter box) but nothing really seems to fit… does anybody have any suggestions??
Also, we did end up introducing Doc to the “Mow mow” (as you will hear me say in the video).  Please excuse my horrible outfit, lack of makeup, and over-all grossness.  The other guy in the video is my brother-in-law, Jason.
If you turn up the volume, you’ll hear the cat make a really low, growling sound right at the end of the video, which is why I make that face……… enjoy!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment