Total Pageviews

Monday, November 8, 2010

Identity Crisis

Hello, Mrs. Gish here! Today’s blog is to tell you, oh loyal followers, about my current identity crisis. If you’ve ever changed your name, you’ll know that there is an awkward , middle stage. And that is where I am right now. I am not legally a Davis anymore. Yes, I may have gotten a little emotional when I turned over my social security card that I’ve had since birth. But I am legally a Gish now. My driver’s license says Gish, my credit cards say Gish, and all my mail says Gish. But then there’s my work ID badges. They say Davis. And so do my checks. And some of my mail. So that leaves me feeling kind of weird. Yes, I am a Gish. But I’ve only been a Gish for a few weeks and it’s definitely weird! I REALLY need to practice my cursive G’s. Seriously. It’s that bad.

But anyway, I don’t FEEL any different, I am still the same person I was, just with a different name. It’s really weird to say my new name (recording my new voicemail took 8 tries because every time I said my new name I was so surprised by it that I would flub the rest of the message. Yes, I was still surprised after 8 tries…). It’s weird to see it in writing, to hear other people call me Mrs. Gish, and to introduce myself to strangers as Sarah Gish. Now don’t get me wrong, it’s TRES exciting!! It’s just taking a little getting used to!

Now, for those brides out there that may or may not check my blog from time to time. If you are lazy like me, and even if you aren’t, I highly recommend www.missnowmrs.com. You’ve probably heard about it on the radio and thought it’s a waste of money, but seriously, it’s not. I paid 30 bucks and filled in a questionnaire, and BAM! All the forms I needed to submit were magically populated for me. Yes, it took FOREVER to print them all out, sign them, make copies of my marriage certificate, and send them. But it would have taken even longer than forever if the list hadn’t been put in front of me like an easy check list!!

Anyway, aside from the identity crisis, I am LOVING being married. Many people ask me how married life is, and how it feels to be married. Honestly? It doesn’t feel any different than it did before we were married… But it’s so exciting to be husband and wife, to know that we are together forever, that we get to spend the rest of our lives going to Disney World (oh, we planned a trip for January by the way), and we get to buy a house and take care of Doc and have children SOME DAY. (That is for a totally different post. Just remember not to ask newly married people when they are having kids because it’s ALL ANYBODY EVER SAYS TO THEM!!) Not bitter, just sayin’! Be creative! Ask us what color house we are going to buy or something…

Well, I think that’s quite enough on this subject. I am off to watch some Football and contemplate what to do with the huge pile of gifts in the middle of our living room!! (We need a house!!)

Hoping somebody out there still reads this,
Sarah G

No comments:

Post a Comment