Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Where have I been?

Oh no big deal, just running 197 miles as part of a 12-person relay team.

Say whaaaaat??

Rewind.  The Ragnar Relay is a race run all over the country for a span of 200 miles, with teams of 12 packed into 2 vans- 6 people per van.  They leap frog through 36 legs of the race, each person completing 3 legs.  For 24-36 hours, depending on how fast they are.

Our team was called "Running on Empty".  I was in Van 2, with a bunch of other rookies, and we totally kicked a$$.

Since this isn't a running blog, I won't get into the specifics.  But it was a long, sweaty, smelly, exhausting and totally rewarding 31 hours!!!

We pushed ourselves to the limit and reaped the rewards.  I ran at night, by myself, through a cornfield with only a headlamp to guide me.  And I survived.  The last 4.4 miles I ran through DC were pure hell, but I pushed through and endured. 

During the race, I was just keeping on with the keeping on.  Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming!

But looking back, I cannot believe I did that.  13.7 miles over a span of a day and a half, with 4-6 hours of lactic acid build-up in between each run.  Definitely different than doing it all in one fell swoop!

Also proud of Joey, who has been running for... oh.... 3 months.  Completed his legs with style.

Here are a few of my favorite pictures:


Freezing cold, waiting for Joey's night leg of 6.7 miles

Van 1, coming in for their first break

Everyone (but me) who was in Van 2
Anybody wanna join for next year????

~SG

No comments:

Post a Comment