Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Down Periscope!

This week I went on a work trip to the Seattle area. 

So-what does that have to do with the hilariously stupid Kelsey Grammer movie after which this blog is titled?

Well I got to tour a submarine while I was there!  Sometimes it really pays to know people.  I am adding this on my "bucket-list-that-I'm-making-as-I-check-off-items" along with throwing out the first pitch at an MLB game, etc. 

The cool thing about the tour of the USS Alabama (Roll tide!) was that it was a personal tour given by the CO.  That's "Commanding Officer", or CAPTAIN if you will.  So me and my pal Gage were VVVIP visitors.  Guests of the CO.  We ate lunch in the wardroom (officer's dining room) aboard the boat with linen tablecloths, real silver, china with USS Alabama insignia, etc.  We met each of the officers and learned about the boat and its' history.  It was really cool to see military traditions in practice.  Such as requesting permission to enter and leave the room, and waiting for the CO to take the first bite of lunch. 

After lunch we got a tour of the entire boat.  You can find more information about the USS Alabama at this link.

Before we left, the CO gave us a coin to commemorate our experience.  It's an actual Commanding Officer's coin.  Pretty rare to get one of those. 

Here's a blurry pic of it that I excitedly sent Joey when we got back to the hotel:

Since we were on a personal tour, we also had our picture taken on the brow (the gangplank), and at the periscope.




It was a long week with a packed schedule and alot of work. So I am really glad to be home.  But I also wanted to share my cool experience with you!

~SG





No comments:

Post a Comment