Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Anecdote about Internet Safety

I wanted to tell you guys something that happened this morning.

First I'll give you some background.  I have a personal policy of not posting naked pictures of my baby on Facebook/the internet.  I have many reasons for this but the main one is: privacy.  Private parts are just that.

This morning after I put Abby down for nap #1, I was scrolling down my newsfeed when I came across a picture.  A naked little girl was sitting on a training potty, smiling.  I had no idea who it was so I looked at who'd posted.  Turns out I don't know her either.

A well meaning, and super excited Mom had posted a picture of her kid on the potty and tagged 15 (FIFTEEN) of her friends.  What she didn't realize was that Facebook will take that picture and put it on the newsfeed of her friends' friends.  Let's do some math.  If each friend had 100 friends, that's 1,500 people.  If each friend had 1,000 friends, that's 15,000 people that are potentially going to see your naked child. Most of which don't know you. I don't want to look up statistics about child predators but 1/15,000 is probably a reality.

This was totally disturbing to me.  So, in true Sarah fashion, I sent her a private message.  I explained who I was (how I knew her friend) and that I'm a mom and shared my concerns.  I worried abut how she'd respond but she wrote back immediately and thanked me!

I wanted to share this with you guys so you'll always consider before posting things, whether it is your children or even just yourself!  Double check your privacy settings (I will be doing that now) and don't ever give out too much information.

My little monkey is awake, so I gotta run.  Oh man, I REALLY need to start running again........ but that is a post for another day...  Have a good weekend everyone!

~sg



No comments:

Post a Comment