Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Getting the right bra

This is a family-friendly blog, so I don't think this is going to get too uncomfortable.  I just wanted to write out my experience for others who might read this and think "hey, that describes my situation too!" 

Bottom line: I should have done this a long time ago.

One of the first things that happens when you get pregnant is your chest starts to grow. Well, actually it hurts. A lot.  And then it grows.  Somewhere around 9 weeks I grabbed a 36 DD off the shelf at Target or something, and figured it would be "good enough".  It was pretty gappy around the sides since I'm really a 34, and there was room for growth in the cups.  I thought it fit okay and it gave me more support than the other ones I had.

Fast forward several months to a few weeks ago.  Not only was I having serious issues with upper back pain, but one day I looked down and noticed a full inch between where the bra was supposed to sit and where it was sitting on my chest.  It also was leaving painful red marks and indentations. 
5 months had passed and my "good enough" bra was definitely in need of replacing.

I've always been aware that there are specialty stores for bras.  I have family and friends who have shopped at these places and given rave reviews.  So last week I finally decided it was time to bite the bullet (and the money that goes with it) and get fitted.

I looked around locally but the only store I could find that does fittings and has real, womanly sizes was Trousseau in Vienna, VA.  It took me a week or so to get over there because it's nowhere near anything I ever visit, but I finally went on Saturday. 

It's a boutique type store that specializes in "other" sizes, but also lingerie, bridal wear, tiaras, jewelry, etc.  Everyone I worked with was very nice and the woman who fitted me REALLY knew her stuff.  She got my size right on the first try.  And because I'm not ashamed, I'll tell you it's 34FF. 

She was very helpful, did not rush me, got me several different choices and styles, and patiently waited for me to try them on and then helped me adjust them so they fit correctly. They were super busy, but I did not feel like I was in any way being rushed out of there.

In the end, I bought 4 bras- 1 regular, 1 regular in a neutral color, 1 nursing, and 1 for sleeping in(because when you are a 34 with huge cups, regular sports bras don't fit. At all.).

Sunday I woke up, showered, put on my new bra and got to work organizing and cleaning the house for several hours.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

Right away, I noticed that my back already felt better.  Not to mention I looked good in the tank top I put on.  ;)

A few days later I am still very happy with my purchases.  (I do have a small sore area where the underwire rubbed my skin a little bit, but I don't think it's going to kill me.)  My back pain has decreased significantly and I look MUCH better in my clothes!

I can't emphasize enough that it's important to go get fitted by a REAL store.  I was fitted at Victoria's Secret long ago but I have since learned that a) they were probably wrong and b) their stuff doesn't fit me right (and now I know why).

If you have any discomfort or even if you just have no clue about what size you are, I'd really recommend getting fitted.  The fitting was free, just had to buy the bras (not free).  But well worth it in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment