Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sarah’s Top Ten for Looking Put Together When You’re Really Not

The book I’m currently reading concludes each chapter with a “Top Ten”, so I’ve been inspired by recent events to put one of my own together.

Daylight Saving Time has been really rough.  Losing that 1 hour of sleep has made me really groggy in the morning and it has become increasingly difficult to get out of bed.  This has left me scrambling to look awake and professional at work.  Since I’ve become pretty professional at faking it til I make it over the years, I thought I’d share some of my tips and tricks.  If anyone from work is reading this, I guess my secret is out. But hey, we are all tired and none of this is illegal. So without further ado…………………..

Sarah’s Top Ten for looking put together when you’re really not….

1.       Keep a few pairs of heels and a jacket in your office (or in your car if you don’t have an office).  It’s easy to grab the closest shoe to the front door, which in my case is usually uggs or flip flops.  Also?  That jacket is good when you are unexpectedly called down to meet with the CEO when you are wearing a Target shirt from 10 years ago.

2.       Jewelry.  Running late? Grab earrings, a necklace and a bracelet and put it on in the car.  Jewelry makes it appear that you took the time to care about your outfit and accessories, even if you didn’t.

3.       Wrinkled pants?  Solution: wear a dress, or better, a skirt suit.  I wear dresses approximately once per month, when my laundry bin is full.  Wearing a skirt suit on a Friday will make you look like an overachiever, even when the truth is your laundry pile is 10 feet high.

4.       Make Up.  I don’t wear make up to work. Ever. I don’t even wear concealer.  I sport those bags under my eyes with PRIDE.  If I were to pick ONE thing to wear, I’d always go with MASCARA.  Glob that baby on! The more mascara, the more it looks like you took “time” to put make up on, and also it draws attention away from those bags under your eyes…

5.       Hair. Greasy? Unruly? Frizzy?  Throwing it back into a ponytail or messy bun is always an option, but if I have an important meeting, I always go for the FRENCH BRAID.  Takes 5 minutes to do in the bathroom, and looks like you spent time putting together an elegant hairstyle that will almost always get compliments.

6.       Nails. Buy some Maybelline Express Finish and leave it in your desk drawer.  Brush it on while your boss is in a meeting, wait 60 seconds and voila! You look like you care.

7.       Hungover?  Here’s a tip: Don’t pour that third glass of wine on a weeknight.  But just in case you did, drink lots of water during the night and take a couple advil first thing in the morning.  Also? Make sure you clean that purple residue off your lips or else everyone in the office will know what’s up.

8.       Somewhere to be?  Walk quickly.  Studies show that people who walk quickly look busier.  Also, carry a notebook with you.

9.       Tired in a meeting?  Take notes.  Taking extensive notes will help keep you awake, as well as involved in the meeting.  Even if you are writing things that are completely unnecessary, it’s better than accidentally falling asleep, right??

10.   Be confident.  Rock whatever look you’ve decided to (or accidentally) wear that day.  Confidence is an accessory that is just as important as that necklace you grabbed that doesn’t match.  So when you are exhausted, wearing two different shoes and freaking out cause you forgot to let the dogs out, just put your chin in the air and own it!


No comments:

Post a Comment