Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Squeamish? Vegetarian?

Turn away, now.

OK I warned you! Today’s post is about the many things you can make with deer meat.  You can’t be mad because I already warned you that this post wasn’t for the squeamish or vegetably inclined…

I also know that by writing this post it makes me a redneck, or at least a redneck by association.  But by marrying into this family, I had to accept that fact that they do enjoy hunting.  (Even though I cry when Joey’s watching hunting shows on TV and I don’t look away in time.)  I actually even went with Joey one time on a hunting excursion.  Back in the day when we were first dating.  I suited up in a nice warm camo outfit and put on a cute orange hat that said “Buck Buster” and trekked about a mile to the chosen spot and sat down in the brush next to Joey.  We were verrrrry quiet and we could hear some squirrels playing in the trees.  Then it hit me.  “If something comes out of that forest, right in front of me… I’m going to watch it die.  Umm I don’t want to be here anymore…” Luckily for everyone involved, no deer, bear, etc. came out of that forest and we returned back to the trailer empty handed.  And that was my first and last hunting trip.  Here’s a pic to commemorate the occasion, since I don’t have any others for this post.  Note the long blonde hair and ridiculous tan. Those were the Wizards days.  Sorry…



Back to the original subject. 


What can you do with deer meat? 
Well apparently in our recent state of broke-ness we’ve become quite creative when it comes to cooking with deer meat. Ok ok and when I say “we” I really mean “Joey” because I don’t cook.  I mean, I do, but… that’s for another post.

What does deer meat taste like?
Honestly, if you make it right, it tastes just like steak.  Certain parts of the deer taste better than others, though.   Some parts taste “gamey” which are the parts I don’t like.  I also cannot think about the deer while I am eating it.  Because then it will gross me out.  It’s funny because I don’t have trouble eating at Coral Reef, this awesome seafood restaurant in WDW where we will be eating next week, where you sit next to the biggest fish tank on the eastern seaboard and watch your dinner swim past you…

What recipes have you tried?
OK well I’m not Susie Homemaker so I’m not going to post actual recipes with ingredients, so sorry if you were expecting to go shoot your dinner tonight and cook it as per my specs…

1. Deer Steaks- nuff said. Add some mashed potatoes and a salad and you’ve got a nice meal!

2. Deer Fajitas- We used a fajita kit from the grocery store, mixed in the spice packet and added some onions and peppers.  Topped with sour cream, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. and a side of Mexican rice? Delicious.

3. Deer Fried Rice- This one makes me laugh. Not sure exactly how this one goes down, but I know it involves deer meat, rice, soy sauce, some chopped onions, etc.  This is a really filling meal, good for dinner and always enough left over for lunch the next day.

4. Deer Chili- I admit we haven’t tried this one yet, but it’s on the menu for this week.  No, we don’t grind our deer meat. Same ingredients as regular chili- beans, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, etc. plus some deer meat, add some corn bread and voila! I’ll let you know how it goes!

So now that you are sufficiently grossed out and judging me, perhaps you’d like to leave a comment with a weird meal that you’ve tried, and actually liked!

SG



1 comment:

  1. You're like the Bubba Gish Deer Company. One Deer. A Thousand Ways to Cook It. LOL
    -alove

    ReplyDelete