Total Pageviews

Friday, August 22, 2014

Abigail's Birth Story

If you are anything like me, you avoid birth stories like the plague.  I get it.  Gross, painful, and terrifying if you ever want to have children.  Well, I want to write it down so that I always remember it, and if it makes you feel any better, I don't have a horror story to share.  In fact, it was rather.... magical.

(ok that might be pushing it.)

I'm too tired to add hyperlinks so if you don't know what something is, just google it ;)

As you may recall, at our 39 week appointment, our doctor said we could induce at any time.  We really wanted to wait for the baby to come on her own, or at least get to 40 weeks before we started talking induction.

We went home from that appointment kind of let down because we had gotten excited about possibly having the baby that day.  Later that week I got a call from the Dr's office to "schedule my induction".  I guess the Doc put us down on his list!  We asked for the first day available after I turned 40 weeks (the 13th) and then got to walking, tea drinking, and every other home labor induction technique you can think of to see if the baby would come on her own.  I didn't tell anyone about the induction because I felt a little ashamed.  I don't feel that way anymore, but I did at the time.

So, now that my secret is out, I can tell you how it all came to be.

I spent a lot of time going back and forth about our decision.  I researched induction a TON on the internet.  I knew that being 3 cm dilated and 90% effaced would work in my favor.  But I knew that induction carries an extended risk of interventions.  BUT I also knew that post term pregnancies can also be dangerous.  I had a lot on my mind, a lot to worry about, and the full moon, miles of walking, and everything else weren't working.

Tuesday evening I was still convinced that she would come on her own but we finished cleaning the house, got our bags ready, ate a really good dinner, hydrated, and went to bed really early.  There is something weird about knowing you are about to become parents. TOMORROW. 

Wednesday morning I woke up and there was clearly still no baby.  It was go time.  I was still a little uneasy but I was also excited and ready to meet my baby.  We woke up at 5am, I ate a bagel and a banana for breakfast like I was about to run a marathon, and continued to drink water until we reached the hospital. A major plus to an induction is knowing ahead of time so you can fuel properly and get a good night's sleep.  You also walk into the hospital smiling and your check in process is very calm.

Our check in time was 6:30.  We arrived at Labor and Delivery and started to get checked in.  That takes a while, but they gave me a gown to change into and started to get things ready. After the paperwork part was finished, the nurses got me started on an IV for fluid and antibiotic to protect the baby against Group B Strep. The doctor came in, checked me (still 3 cm) and said he had a surgery at 8 and would break my water after that.  The nurses were all really excited to tell each other that I was already a 3.  I guess a lot of women show up to be induced at 0.  As our main nurse was taking my blood pressure, I felt my first contraction.  I asked her when she started the pitocin.  She said "Honey, I haven't started the pitocin yet."  I was doing it all on my own!!! This baby was playing cruel tricks.  It made me fell MUCH better about the induction though, knowing that she would have come on her own that day or soon thereafter.

They did start the pitocin on a slow drip after that, and I felt some contractions but they were irregular and completely manageable.  I was laying on my left side and I was very relaxed.  Joey's Mom stopped by quickly to say Hi and Joey started a text play by play with my family which is how I know exactly what time everything happened.

At 9:15 the Doctor came in and said it was time to break my water.  It was officially time to go.  No turning back after that! I'll spare the details but there was a LOT and Joey thought it was really cool.  We were in business. Contractions started picking up a bit but I was just breathing through them.  Around 10:45/11 they started to become more uncomfortable.  The nurse offered an epidural and after assuring me TWICE that it would not slow down my progression, I accepted.  Turns out I did it at the right time.  As I was waiting for the anesthesiologist to get set up, contractions started getting stronger and much more painful.  They were coming infrequently but anywhere from 1-2 minutes apart.  We got the epi in with no trouble at all (for the record, it doesn't really hurt.  The numbing agent is probably the worst part and it's just like getting a shot.) and I laid down on my side to get gravity to help it take effect. Joey sent the text that the epidural was in place around 11:30am.  It only took 20 mins or so after that before I was comfortable again.  The best part was that I could still move and feel my legs.  I enjoyed a cherry popsicle and the nurse came in to insert the catheter (they don't let you get up when you have an epidural).  

She checked my progress and her eyes got wide.  "You're 7 cm.  The baby's head is right there!" Well, no wonder it had started to hurt!!!!!!! She told me to look for pressure in my rear like I had to go #2, and to call her when that happened.  We relaxed, took some home videos (NOT getting shared, so sorry) and waited.

I told Joey I could "sort of feel" some pressure and he wanted me to call the nurse but I wanted to make sure.  I didn't want to cry wolf... Finally I gave in and pushed the button and... it was a good thing I did!  Joey sent a text to my family at 12:46 that said "Here we go!".  I didn't even have time to register what was happening.  All I knew is I was being instructed to push.  So I gave it my best shot.  I pushed ~4 or 5 times with the nurses before the Doctor came in.  ~2 more pushes, a small episiotomy, and Baby Abigail was born 10 minutes later at 12:56pm!!!

In case you are wondering, I still can't believe I did that.  It still seems surreal.  They put her on my chest and I just sobbed.  I don't really know why.  But I did.  Joey cut the umbilical cord and the doctor stitched me up.  If you are afraid of an episiotomy let me again reassure you that it's no big deal.  Sure, I'm well versed in crotch-pain-relief products but I have been managing just fine.

They took the baby to weigh her and towel her off a bit.  She came in at 6 lbs 15.6 oz...so we rounded up to 7 even.  20 inches long.  Delightfully average ;)



After most of the hustle and bustle was gone, Joey looked at me and asked me the question I had been dying to know the answer to for the past 9 months.

"So, which was harder? Running a marathon or giving birth?"  And you guys?  I looked him dead in the eye and said "Marathon. Hands down."

I don't know what this says about my ability as a runner, but it took me longer to run 26.2 miles than it did to birth a baby... so..... that's embarassing.

I was also able to successfully breastfeed her right after she was born.  That is still an ongoing learning experience that is better some days than others.  But overall we are doing great.



Hmmm what else...... OH I enjoyed a Wawa turkey hoagie immediately after giving birth  (we'd picked one up that morning... judge if you want) and proceeded to eat about 5 turkey sandwiches in the 2 days we were at the hospital.




We're getting used to each other and learning together.  I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting but I wanted to get some part of it written down.

We've been having fun at home this past week.  We're tired and busy and at the end of the day I'm not sure what exactly I did all day, but being a mom is pretty awesome so far.





I'll be back to check in from time to time.  

~SG

No comments:

Post a Comment