Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day Trip to Gettysburg

A couple Saturdays ago, we woke up bright and early, packed up our bags as if we were going to Disney World for the day, and made the ~2 hour drive up to Gettysburg, PA.  The 150th Anniversary of the Battle was this year on July 1-3, and they were celebrating and doing reenactments through the weekend/month.  

Since I've never seen a Civil War reenactment, I decided this would be the perfect time to go, being the 150th Anniversary.  As with everything, there are rookie mistakes...

Here are some things I thought we did well:
Leave Early
Do research ahead of time on where to go
Wear sneakers
Bug spray
Bring mini backpack instead of purse

Here are some things we failed on:
Not buying tickets ahead of time (for the grandstands/also WAY cheaper)
Not wearing sunblock (i KNOW...)
Not bringing water bottles
Not bringing chairs/umbrellas to sit under/setting them up early by the field
I don't think I'd recommend going on a anniversary weekend, although it was cool to be there. The crowds were crazy and there was no parking anywhere.

The reenactment experience was unlike any other I've ever had. I absolutely LOVED it.  I am a huge history nerd as you know from last year's birthday party.  We arrived nice and early and took the time to walk through the tents and the living history area.  We even got to see Gen. Longstreet talk about his battle plans!   It was very, extremely hot, even though it was only 10 am.  We started chugging water and sweating immediately.  I have never been so sweaty, and so OK with it, in my life.


In one of the tents, piece of a tree that witnessed the battle and Gettysburg Address

View of camp

Tons of people were walking around in period clothing. IT WAS SO HOT.

Gen. Longstreet gets ready to talk to the crowd

He was pretty awesome. Did you know that he was in Ulysses S. Grant's wedding?

CSA dude on a horse. He posed for me. hahaha

The battle we saw was a cavalry demonstration, which is actually very rare to see because of all the horses involved.  Because of the live horses, nobody really "died" in the battle- they simply ran off the field.  This was done for obvious safety reasons.  Also, there was no real winner, although the battle was loosely based on Gen. Stuart arriving at Gettysburg.  It was also very, extremely patriotic.  We began by reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, the National Anthem, and "Lincoln" recited the Gettysburg Address.  I ate it up.  Joey and I walked around quite a bit trying to find a good spot to stand, and we finally decided on a hill in front of the "camp".  It was one of the better spots, next to the main grandstands.  

Lining up for battle

If you look closely you can see Lincoln

The Confederates run across the field in a disorganized line to get set up. Very authentic.  The Union soldiers were much more organized and put together.

Confederates get set up for the battle

OMG we're here! (and sweating)

Gun powder in the air

Union soldiers line up behind the fence

The battle ensues, the Rebel Yell is heard!

The cavalry charge!

After the battle was over, they paraded around the field so everyone could get a good look.

Which is when I got this awesome picture.

Btw, there were TONS of cheers when the Union soldiers came by.  Joey said it was only because we are in the North ;)

There were several more battles that day that our tickets were good for, but I had never actually been to Gettysburg (so weird).  So I wanted to go over to the battlefield and see the museum and the monuments.  Reenactments are always done on private land, as the battlefield is a memorial and it is illegal to do reenactments there.  So we headed over to downtown Gettysburg.  It was SO CROWDED.

After grabbing some lunch at Wendys and driving around FOREVER trying to find parking (next time we go, it will NOT be on an anniversary weekend), we finally found a spot and walked over to view some of the monuments.  


Gen. Meade on his horse

Confederates who died in the spot below, notably Gen. Armistead.

The spot where Gen. Armistead fell during Pickett's Charge

Meade again, looking over the battlefield.
Looking out from the Union position in the direction in which the Confederates came across the field during Pickett's Charge.


Looking back from the opposite direction, from the Confederate position.  Can you imagine walking across that entire field?!

Gen. Robert E. Lee monument

Gen. Lee looking out over the battlefield


We also visited the museum, although I don't have many pictures from that experience.

Faces of the Union

Faces of the CSA

Gettysburg Address

It was so hot out and so crowded, but we wanted to do as much as possible.  We finally threw in the towel after a full day and what we guessed was 3-5 miles of walking.  Once we got that parking spot we didn't want to lose it, so we had walked everywhere.  

Being there over July 4th weekend made me extra thankful for all of our troops, past and present (and future) that have given us the ability to live the way we do today.  Without their ultimate sacrifice, we would not be able to celebrate with our BBQs and beers.  

I can't wait to go back to Gettysburg.  I know there is much more to see and I can't wait to see it.

~Sg

2 comments:

  1. You grew up in PA and never had a field trip to Gettysburg? So strange... Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy I know!! I really don't think I did. I can't imagine that I wouldn't remember that. Maybe I was sick that day? ...or maybe I had ballet ;)

      Delete